Yes, that would be desirable behavior.  Unfortunately, the good folks at
Oracle decided that the Java auto-update mechanism is such an important
feature that it gets re-installed and re-enabled every time you install
Java (or a Java update) on your system.  In the past, there was a
parameter that you could pass to the installer to disable the
auto-update mechanism, but this parameter is no longer respected by the
Java installer.

This is all very frustrating to us, especially in light of the fact that
the Java auto-update tool historically has worked very poorly. When we
started monitoring Java update performance at UVM, we found that over
90% of Java installs were outdated and contained significant security
vulnerabilities.  The need to secure Java, Flash, and Adobe Reader
software was the primary driver behind deploying Secunia CSI and SCCM.

There are programmatic work-arounds that could be implemented.  We just
have not had time to explore them, and since this is not a security
issue, it is not likely to take top priority anytime soon.

-J. Greg Mackinnon | ETS Systems Architecture and Administration | x68251