So here is a question, is there a way to manually trigger SCCM? Haven't
found one that seems to work reliably yet.

I've run into the issue a couple times now where a laptop might have
been off during a critical patch deployment, but doesn't detect it right
away when it is turned on and you get the 1 hour bong at an inopportune
time.

Actually I ran into this with my laptops, only I had had it on for an
hour or two in the morning and attempted to  patch before I needed to go
to a meeting.  Nothing happened, then as soon as I'm at the meeting it
kicks in.

Also would be nice to trigger it for a fresh installed system to be sure
that it's not going to want to do a pile of installs as soon as I leave
it with the client.

-Bryan