Amusing...

We attempted to switch off NTLMv1 support in the domain 2-3 years ago,
but were unable to do so because Firefox did not support NTLMv2.  The
only reason that NTLMv1 is supported in SharePoint is /because/ of
Firefox.  The SharePoint servers could be reconfigured to require
NTLMv2.  I am not sure if that would help or hurt the situation.
Certainly for clients that already require NTLMv2 (IE and Chrome on
Windows) this would not be a problem.

Kerberos authentication for SharePoint is difficult because in the
current server configuration it will not work from off campus.  A fair
number of architectural changes would need to be made to use Kerberos on
campus and plain-text-over-SSL off campus, and this change would result
in different application behavior for on and off campus users.

Ultimately, the path forward for SharePoint is to get out of "Windows
authentication" entirely, and switch to a federated logon model, but
that cannot easily be accomplished on SharePoint 2010.

-Greg Mackinnon