Yup, I had FF 23 which apparently is too old to be auto upgraded to current.

Upgraded to FF 30 and indeed I cannot log into Sharepoint

I wonder what the implications would be of switching Sharepoint to using NTLMv2 at minimum?  Frankly Iím kind of surprised that this hasnít already been done given the fact that NTLMv1 has been deprecated for a while now.