John, 3D integrated circuitry has been around a while, much like 3D
printers...they are not yet in wide use, but as you point out, it is simply
a matter of time. I agree that the potential is huge.

Quantum computing is another technology that seems just around the corner.

If one has not yet read The Age of Spiritual Machines, by Ray Kurzweil, it
is worth the read, mainly in order to see how well Ray's prognostications
held up since he wrote it in 1999.

*While a lot of his predictions will not be able to be verified yet, they
extended to 2099, of the 108 predictions he made for 2009, 89 have come
true outright and another 13 were close enough. While he has not had 100%
success ratio, his record so far is pretty good if not unparalleled in
human history.  (Diamandis, Peter H,; Kotler, Steven)*