Keith-

You may want to take a look at the various articles about cloning Win 7
systems. If I recall correctly, there is a registry key that holds a serial
number representing the physical disk. This has to be wiped prior to moving
it to a different disk (or at least different disk controller). If you're
having issues with the resulted VM not booting properly (and/or
cycle-booting), this is likely what you are running into. I don't recall
the actual registry key entry that needs clearing, but I do recall it to be
part of the Win7 SysPrep's routine.

Thanks,

Mike Tisdale
http://miketisdaleconsulting.com