John

Having been blind sided a few times in my life, I fully appreciate that
perspective, but if I may challenge you a bit here.

First, I find that new teachers don't really care what their predecessor
did in general, much less with a classroom website.

Second this is how I view the classroom webpage created with an outside
product (BYOT).

I support the user in many ways, not just on the specific products provided
to them by our organization.

Do I want to support 40 teachers on 40 different products? No, but
something in the middle might be workable.

We have people using
-joomla
-weebly
-glogster

Glogster changed their TOS (or something similar) last spring and the user
sent me the email and asked me if there was anything she needed to do. She
was concerned they were going to take down her content or charge her extra.
All it was, was them eliminating multiple people using the same account.

That was really the only support issue that cropped up among the BYOT
webpages.

As another example, we had two HS teachers assign a video project last
spring.

The first teacher came to me long in advance and asked for my suggestion.
Her project was was short and simple, so I told her I would come to her
class and give a demo of the tools we provide (flip cam, movie maker).
Three of the four groups used the flip/mm solution. No BYOD/BYOT issues.

The second teacher assigned the much more ambitious project and THEN came
to see me. It was fortunately long enough in advance of the deadline to be
workable.

I came to her classroom and gave a brief demo of flip/mm, talked about
story-boarding/filming/editing and told them, if they wanted to use their
own tools, they would have to see me LONG in advance of their deadline with
any issues that popped up.

For this group, three of the four groups used their own tools.

There were a couple of issues that popped up for these BYOT folks
1.) how do I get my videos off my iphone to edit on my classmates BYOD
windows laptop?
2.) How do I convert the videos my classmate just ripped off her iPhone?
3.) can we do split screen for free?
4.) audio was scratchy on a video exported from an iMac, played on a HP.

The projects benefited bc one of our students (not even in that class) had
a very nice prosumer camcorder and was willing to shoot for a number of the
groups, and help with editing.

The school did not have to own that camera, warehouse it, inventory it,
insure it or provide support for it.

In the end, they made some great projects (which they had to present at a
film night) and I was able to help them where I could.

I am not saying I want to do that every day (solve new BYOD/BYOT issues)
but it is also a nice break from the monotony of the curated solutions we
do provide ...

Our teachers are expected to differentiate for their learners, why should
it be any different for IT?

 next teacher is not given or does not have access to an existing classroom