I agree with Jon... if teachers are using an online tool already, I wouldn't rock the boat.  We've worked too hard to get them to publishing online and a 24/7 presence to derail it (mixing metaphors here, sorry.)  What I would do is establish clear guidelines for expected content/conventions/behavior, e.g. ad-free space, CIPA/COPPA/FERPA compliance, etc.

Google sites is great, but NETS expects that we will always be looking for and evaluating the best tool for the job.  Requiring one tool discourages the mindset that we'd like to see exhibited.

My two cents...
Shannon