From: Todd Puccio [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 14 August 2014 20:09
To: Carol Lefebvre; [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: need quick SportDiscus search? - is this within the terms of the licensing agreement?

Hi All,

Usually, license restrictions revolved around providing "access" to database and electronic resources.
In general, this would mean that it is not permitted to provide live searching access to an unauthorized user.

For this request, and the previous EMBASE request, it was asked that an authorized user do a very  specific and limited search and then share the results.

Most of our licenses to allow for the non-commercial sharing of portions of the resource for the purposes of scholarship and research.
Doing a mediated search and sharing the citation results free of charge for the purpose of research and scholarship is exactly this.
As long as it is not a regular and frequent relationship, I doubt it is a violation of most of the licensing agreements.

Notice I am talking about citations, not the Full-Text article results.  These would most likely have to be shared only through ILL, if at all.

** That being said : ***

The posted _Terms of Use_ in EBSCOHOST does say this :
" Licensee and Authorized Users may create printouts of materials retrieved through the Databases or Services online printing, offline printing, facsimile or electronic mail. All reproduction and distribution of such printouts, and all downloading and electronic storage of materials retrieved through the Databases or Services shall be for internal or personal use. "

Which means that, unless your institution has a different license agreement, you would _not_ be allowed to share the results of a search outside of your organization.

Food for thought.

--
Todd Puccio
Director of Technical Services / Librarian Nova Southeastern University Health Professions Division Library