From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Julie Stielstra
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 10:20 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: License Agreements (LA) for Library Online Resources

Not so subtle... Even when they deal with librarians, they undermine our key responsibility to CHOOSE for our clientele with their "bundles" - all or nothing, no substitutions, and if you try to buy a la carte titles the price skyrockets.  500 journals in ClinicalKey, and over the course of a year, our users actually access about 70 of them.  But if I try to buy just those 70 titles directly, isn't it funny how the quote comes in at a few thousand MORE than ClinicalKey...  sigh.

As for licensing... contract law is a whole different thing from statutory law (e.g., copyright).  Publishers "own" the content, so they get to sell it any way they can, and we can like it or lump it.  Or try to negotiate it. (Good luck with that...)

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 8:54 AM, Anthanett C. Mendoza <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>

--

Julie Stielstra, MLS

Manager, Libraries of Cadence Health

Central DuPage Hospital

25 N Winfield Rd

Winfield, IL 60190

phone 630-933-4536

fax     630-933-4530

email jstielstra [ at ]  gmail.com

"Never...be mean in anything; never be false; never be cruel. Avoid those three vices...and I can always be hopeful of you."  -- Betsy Trotwood to David Copperfield (Charles Dickens)

This message (including any attachments) is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed, and is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the message (including any attachments) and notify the originator that you received the message in error.  Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.  Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifies and with authority, states them to be the views of Vanguard Health Systems.