Dear all,,,

Why publishers ask the Library to sign a License Agreement, where;

-          The copyright is reserved by the Copyright laws

-          Publication rights are also reserved by Publication Laws

-          The Start/End for new/renew subscriptions is a purchasing note and be added to the order

-          Access method can easily be mentioned in the delivery note or even the invoice

-          Not for commercial purposes is also can be mentioned in the delivery note

-          and so on ....

All of us accept the copyright/Publication laws. Why you want the Librarians to sign a License agreement to accept the laws again?

I think online acceptance of Terms & Conditions is more than enough where all of us agreed everyday while using Windows, Web browsers, Facebook, Twitter, Create/sign-in emails, UpToDate and many many other examples.

Why publishers keep asking Librarians to sign such small font License Agreements? Do they want us to work as Guards to their resources, or just to fill the salesperson ego to run back to his manager: "hey, I got his signature" !

How many times the order/ payment delayed because the LA is not signed?
How many times the order is cancelled or not renewed because the LA signing faced difficulties?
How many times the subscription ended while the LA still not yet signed?
How many times we Librarians had a nightmare thinking of the dispute competent court?  as you know, usually US, UK law is applied!

Getting rid of such License agreements -for sure- will facilitate the selection, order, payment and delivery process. Isn't that what the publishers want and that is good for Business?

I'm about to as ask the publishers not to bring License agreements any more, or "I think I will do it soon". What do think folks?

Bakheet Beshtawy,
Rashid Medical Library,
Dubai Health Authority,
Dubai - UAE.