David, I’m glad to hear that the procedure worked well. In your case, the vendor and hardware isn’t something we support, which is why I was suggesting to preserve the vendor-provided recovery options. In Larry’s case, the XPS 15 is a Dell model that we do support, so preserving such recovery mechanisms is somewhat less important.

If the system is already domain-joined, and the primary user(s) have all their applications set up, I suppose an in-place upgrade would be a way to preserve their investment in getting everything set up. Otherwise, I too suggest a re-image via LiteTouch.

--Geoff

From: Technology Discussion at UVM [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Deutl
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2014 10:10 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Windows 8.1 ?

I had a similar situation recently and Geoff sent me the following directions for upgrading a Levono touch screen system. I t went very smoothly.

You could grab the Windows install media from

\\files.uvm.edu\ees\Windows\disk_images

and do an in-place upgrade to Enterprise. You could then run the LiteToch application-only installer from

\\files.uvm.edu\software\Deploy

(Run the "Start LiteTouch" script)

If you run LiteTouch itself, you'll blow away any system recovery partition that is on the system. Alternatively, maybe they provide a way to create recovery media (DVDs). If so, I'd [have the post-doc] do that before monkeying around with anything.

++++++++