We had a fellow come in this morning to pay his 2014 current taxes with the exact amount of cash.  An assistant tax collector accepted the money, gave him a receipt and marked his 2014 bill paid.
The dilemma is that he still owes over $1,000 for his 2013 delinquent taxes!  I thought that a person could tell you which taxes to apply the money too but trying to figure out why he would do it this way.  His property can still go up for tax sale because the delinquent taxes correct?  I would love to know if there is any laws about this.
Input please???

Roberta Dana
Town Treasurer
1476 Scott Hwy