Small Heath is certainly not out of the realm of possibilities. Quite a number of common European butterfly species have turned up in northeastern North America and recently the Common (European) Blue (P. Icarus) has become established in southern Quebec. The Large Cabbage White (P. brassicae) was taken a number of years ago in Maine; the Small Tortoiseshell and the European Peacock have made numerous appearances between them, and who knows which of the European Sulphurs and non-rapae Whites have occurred over here incognito......

Pamphilus should be easy t6o ID in relation to our Ringlet(s).....A photo would help.

Alex

From: Vermont Butterfly Survey [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Elinor Osborn [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 11:44 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: very small ringlet

I have been seeing several very small ringlets as well. ómaybe a total of 3 in the past few weeks.
Elinor

Elinor Osborn Photography
PO Box 86     1286 Lost Nation Rd
Craftsbury Common VT 05827

802  586-9994

On Sep 10, 2014, at 2:18 PM, Larry Clarfeld wrote:

Hi folks!

Hoping for some expert advice on this... during a Monarch tagging event at North Branch Nature Center today, one of the participants caught a very tiny ringlet. What is the variation in size of Common Ringlet? this one was not much bigger than my pinky fingernail. Is Small Heath (Coenonympha pamphilus) in the realm of possibilities? I was leading a group, so unfortunately there was no time for more than a quick picture, which is on someone else's camera at the moment.

Thanks,
Larry

--
Larry Clarfeld
Environmental Educator

North Branch Nature Center
713 Elm St.
Montpelier, VT 05602

www.NorthBranchNatureCenter.org
(802) 229-6206

CAUTION PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this transmission is intended to be sent only to the stated recipient of the transmission.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the intended
recipient's agent, you are hereby notified that we do not intend to waive
any privilege that might ordinarily be attached to this communication. Any
dissemination, distribution or copying of the information contained in this
transmission is therefore prohibited. You are further asked to notify us of
any such error in transmission as soon as possible at the telephone
number/email address shown above. Thank you for your cooperation.