Dear all

We are reviewing our renewals procedure in our library, and I would like to pick the collective brains of the list if I may!

When we issue books to users, they are allowed a maximum of 3 unseen renewals. So they can login to their online library account to renew, or they can telephone for a renewal. After the 3rd renewal we ask to see the item before reissuing it to the user if they would like to keep the item. The renewals, of course, are subject to any recall that might happen ie reservation on the item etc.

The loan periods that we have are standard loans, which is for 8 weeks; and short loan stock which is for 1 week. The 3x renewals principle is the same for both types of stock.

What is the renewal procedure in your library? Do you have a limit as to the number of renewals or is it unlimited? What was the reasoning for the decision made?

Any insight into your renewals procedures would be gratefully received! I will summarise for the list.

Jane Surtees
Clinical Librarian
Library and Knowledge Service
Royal Derby Hospital
Uttoxeter Road
Derby  DE22 3NE | UK

DL: (+44) (0) 1332 789235 | Email: [log in to unmask]

Thank you for your co-operation.