From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Linda Schwartz
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 7:07 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: CHAT: "special" journal requests

Julie,
The problem is exactly as you describe it. If you do decide to discuss with your VP of Medical Affairs, I'd stress that new programs require new support systems. I find that with new projects (such as new community-focused/patient engagement focused programs) / services (such as your new research lab)/ teaching venues (such as fellowships, residencies) / patient initiatives (such as a new focus on a specific disorder to target reduction in readmissions), there is no discussion at the planning stage for support. I had one patient ed program that expected me to fund $6,000/year in brochures for just one disease-specific initiative. I've had fellowships that started with subsequent requests, like yours, for thousands of dollars of journals to support teaching.

I know that I need to outreach when I hear the slightest whisper of a new activity to remind people upfront that new resources require budgeting at the proper time. Like you, I also use statistics to show that some resources may not be necessary and tell people - show me that you are requesting articles from it through ILL first and I can make a better case at budget time that we need to subscribe. The problem comes when you don't have a clue of the new activity - it just arrives in the form of an email request.

Feeling your pain!

Linda

Linda Matula Schwartz, MDE, AHIP, CM
Director, Knowledge Management
(Library Services and Patient Education) Lehigh Valley Health Network
1200 S. Cedar Crest Blvd.
Allentown, PA 18105
610-402-5290

Libraries are about service - not books. Information where & when you want it with librarians as professional guides.