On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 20:49:26 -0400, Justin Woods <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 20:38:07 -0400, Jonathan S. Shefftz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>I've never argued -- either in this thread or elsewhere -- that downhill ski area uphilling was a right.
>
>Fair enough, but your diction ("prohibition" "unnecessarily" etc.) suggests a certain degree of indignation.

- The word "prohibition" is a very straightforward and neutral description of how uphill travel during operational hours at MRG is ... prohibited.
- As for "unnecessarily" that is my opinion, and yes, describing my attitude as "indignant" is reasonably accurate.
- However, this is not because I feel that some sort of "right" is being abridged.  Rather, MRG is missing out on a mutual beneficial transaction because of its unnecessary prohibition on operational hours uphilling.

>>Specifically with regard to MRG, my point was that the uphill policy is unnecessarily restrictive, which is in stark contrast to the glowing tribute to MRG's policy in the original post.
>
>Yet you agree that there aren't really any appropriate trails for uphill travel?

- No, I wrote that there are plenty of appropriate routes for uphill travel at MRG, although not necessarily all the way to the summit.  (Loon has a really good policy in this regard.)

> Go ahead and swipe (again) at the original essay -- I've posted worse doggerel here.  I admit it's partisan.  But I maintain that, in the context of NoVT, the policy is "common sense" and reasonable.  Get a headlamp, Jonathan.  And then it's a non-issue.
- Or just sleep in and skin up one of the many resorts served by numerous high-speed quad lifts that still allow uphilling during operational hours for either free or a small fee.  (Although I do miss somewhat the excitement of the old days -- before established uphill policies -- from waking up long before dawn and then wondering if I would be kicked out at any minute...)