I spent a couple weeks at Whitefish in 2013 and was favorably impressed with everything about the place.  Their uphill policy is well considered and well stated.

http://skiwhitefish.com/safety/uphill-policy/

It must be admitted that they have the advantage of massive terrain and light crowds.  The two ways up are both wide and have no blind corners.  I didn't skin there and don't know if they charge a fee.  I don't think so.  There were some folks skinning every day.

You can also find this wise and well written piece,

http://skiwhitefish.com/TreeWellSafety.pdf

Sent from my iPad