Website: http://blogs.umass.edu/jsalacup/
 @alkenones

“… it’s not your life. It's life. Life is bigger than you… Life isn't something that you possess; it's something that you take part in, and you witness." –Louis C.K.

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 10:52 AM, Mihai Lefticariu <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Jeff,

Hopefully there is nothing wrong with the heating element or the iTRON 16 itself. Otherwise I would make sure that 1) the carier He flows at the right rate, 2) there is no leak coming from a cracked reactor, 3) the fan that cools the reactor at the back of the TCEA unit works fine, and 4) the raSD setting, which controls the rate of heating/cooling is not greater than 5 (5 C per minute) for heating (and actually Thermo recommends this), which you do it stepwise, and also lower than 3 (even better if below 2) for cooling in order to avoid the cracking of the ceramic tube. The raSD values of 100 and 40 for the reactor and GC column, respectively, typed in the manual are probably typos; maybe they mean 10.0 and 4.0. However, a reactor heating rate of 10 C/min may be too high and it is surely too high for cooling; the reactor may just crack after a few heating/cooling cycles, start leaking, its tempeature will go down quickly, the temperature control will try to raise it again to working values, and so on. Cheers. Mihai Lefticariu (Southern Illinois University Carbondale)

From: Stable Isotope Geochemistry <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Harlow, Benjamin <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, October 2, 2014 4:19 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ISOGEOCHEM] Jumo iTRON 16

Jeff, Here are factory Jumo settings for all Thermo devices.  I do recommend revising raSD (temperature heating/cooling slope) on the TCEA to 10 or less.  The raSD refers to temp C increase/decrease per minute.

Hope this helps.

Benjamin Harlow

Manager, Stable Isotope Core Laboratory

Washington State University

School of Biological Sciences

367 Eastlick

Pullman, WA  99164-4236

Office:  509-335-6161

Lab:     509-335-6154

Fax:     509-335-3184

Laboratory for Biotechnology and Bioanalysis (LBB2) Stable Isotope Core

http://www.isotopes.wsu.edu