I second Jen's recommendations.  I usually keep an old syringe that is plugged or perhaps that does not work so good any more, just for the purpose of doing the first core in a new septum.  There is a small degree of float in the septum holder and septum support that I usually start with the assembly more on the loose end, and core it once to ensure things are lined up.  Then I tighten it slightly and core it a few more times.  It is always best to have the retaining cap only as tight as it needs to be.

If the injector is cold or the septum tightened a lot, it has the habit of acting like a brick.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Benjamin Harlow

Manager, Stable Isotope Core Laboratory

Washington State University

School of Biological Sciences

367 Eastlick

Pullman, WA  99164-4236

Office:  509-335-6161

Lab:     509-335-6154

Fax:     509-335-3184

Laboratory for Biotechnology and Bioanalysis (LBB2) Stable Isotope Core

http://www.isotopes.wsu.edu