i have noticed this happen only when the ipad gets rebooted. it wont
connect until its unlocked. i believe it was intended to work that way for
one reason or another. i havent found any workaround but luckily its only
been a problem once so far since last year, i dont believe its a glitch
since it happens that way consistently. cant be much help unfortunately, i
think the only option would be to have students report their passcodes when
they apply them, but of course they can change those whenever they please...