VT Longitudinal Data System Vendor Selected

The Agency of Education is pleased to announce the selection of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt’s (HMH) edFusion software as the state’s longitudinal data system. The edFusion solution will enable us to accept compiled data from school district systems (versus manual data submission). The system will also provide a high quality data warehouse and analytics tool for state and district use. The edFusion solution enables integration of disparate data sources into one unified platform to support program and instructional improvement based on Vermont identified criteria and timely data.  This project is funded by a 4.9 million dollar longitudinal data systems grant from the US Department of Education. The system implementation timeline will likely extend into the FY2016-2017 school year.

For more details about the background and scope of this project, see the Longitudinal Data System website at the following URL: http://education.vermont.gov/slds .

How will this project impact my work on data collections?

The staff that currently submit the following data collections to the state will be impacted:

a.         Fall Student Census

b.         Spring Student Census

c.         Tuitioned Student Census

d.         Educator Census

e.         Combined Incident Reporting Software (CIRS)

f.          Student Educator Course Transcript (SECT) collection

Note: These are the collections that will be part of the first phase of implementation. This initial set of collections represent the foundational data sets that our vendor, HMH, is responsible for automating as part of the initial implementation. AOE data stewards and IT staff will be mentored and trained to be able to modify existing and/or create new data collections. The data collected via this system will be expanded and the system will also include data sets such as assessment and stakeholder survey data.

The data currently collected via manual processes will be uploaded using SIF 3.0 or flat file upload. The districts will still choose when to upload the data that is being submitted to meet the state and federal data requirements. District staff must still be available to address data errors that are identified during the submission status. The staff doing this work will be trained in the new system.

Your superintendent and business manager are aware of this project. It is our hope that this project eases the burden these collections currently place on district staff by eliminating the manual nature of these data collections. The role of district staff in ensuring the data that is submitted is accurate remains an important responsibility.

Other staff that will be impacted will be those who must work with the SIS vendor to implement SIF 3.0 or automate flat file extracts to submit to the state. The detailed specifications for this work will be developed via this project and can be used as a scope of work between the SU/districts and the SIS vendor.

In addition, during the integration of your local SIS and the new state system, staff and the local SIS vendor must be available to troubleshoot issues that arise.

Important Note: Timing of Changes to Data Collections

This project will not impact the way data is collected from school districts during this school year. School districts and SUs should expect to follow existing protocol for submitting data to the agency during this school year. More detailed information when school districts will be impacted by this project will be provided as soon as it is available.

What’s next?

The first phase of the project is the development of the detailed work schedule. As this more detailed timeline is developed, we will be soliciting for input from our district partners and existing Governance Committee.  We are also forming a working group made up of local school district staff that can provide guidance to the project and identify ways that districts can work together to prepare for integrating local SIS systems with the new state system.  Specifically, the workgroup will be asked to provide input into the following:

  1. The system will allow for frequent updates of “uncertified” data so real time information will be available to district users.  What are the local considerations for this functionality?
  2. The system will allow for district controlled “certified submissions” that will be subject to rigorous business rule enforcement at “to be defined” intervals – which will ensure data is clean for state and federal requirements such as Average Daily Membership and federal reporting.  What are the local considerations for this functionality?
  3. What are the opportunities for districts to collaborate on common processes that will support this work – either for all districts or for districts with specific SIS solutions?
  4. Provide preliminary feedback on proposed pilot and general rollout to system.

We feel that working with this group before we rollout the proposal to wider stakeholder audience will allow us to produce a more mature implementation plan. We anticipate the participants in this group will evolve as we address different areas of our implementation.  For example, as AOE assesses what third party information data will also be imported into the system, we may need local expertise on these systems.

We will be using the IT ListServe as a method of collaborating with this community. We also welcome the opportunity to leverage existing regional groups to work with you on implementing this system. If you are having a regional meeting and would like us to come and speak with you –please let us know.

We are also consulting with other local vendors whose technical solutions are widely used throughout our school districts so we can gain a deeper insight of how this project will impact school districts.

In addition, AOE staff will be working with HMH to identify the approach for selecting pilot SUs for our project.

Reminder: Grant Money Available to Assist with Local SIS Costs

 The federal grant award includes funds to be subgranted to Supervisory Unions to fund costs related to integrating local SIS systems with the new state solution. More information about the timing of this grant opportunity will be shared in future communications.

About this Communication and for more information about this project

This communication is one of five communications targeted to VT LDS External Stakeholders.  Communications have been drafted to the following groups:

  1. VADR Governance Committee
  2. Superintendents, Superintendents Association(SA), Business Managers
  3. District Data Collection Contacts
  4. School District SIS/IT Staff
  5. Local SIS Vendors

Please let us know if there are other stakeholder groups you feel we should include in our communication strategy.

Additionally, information related to this project will be posted on the AOE website.  This page will be updated with new information throughout our project lifecycle.  This site can be found at the following URL: http://education.vermont.gov/slds. New information will include the project implementation and timeline details, meeting minutes and status reports. Please feel free to share this information and this link with interested parties.

Additional comments and questions about this project can be forwarded to [log in to unmask]. Staff will respond to any questions as soon possible.

This project implementation is being led by Brian Townsend, IT Director, VT Agency of Education and Lisa Gauvin, Technical Lead/Project Manager on behalf of AOE.

Brian Townsend | IT Director | Vermont Agency of Education

219 North Main Street, Suite 402 | Barre,VT 05641 | (:802.479.1099| Ê: 802.479-4319 | *:[log in to unmask]