One of my "holy grail" birds for this fall - Orange-crowned Warbler -
finally obliged me this morning. While my car underwent a brake job at
Merchand Brothers Garage, just south of the Upper Valley Aquatic Center
on Rt. 5, I took a walk down Melisi Road and connected to the fire
access road that skirts the south side of the pond (of White-winged Tern
fame in June 1987), then worked the cattail-shrub swamp along Rt. 5.
Landbirds were hopping, diversity surprisingly high.  A scolding
Carolina Wren in the shrub swamp had me fooled for a moment, thinking it
was a Marsh Wren...

Highlights:

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Merlin  1
Eastern Phoebe  2
Carolina Wren  3
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  2
Eastern Bluebird  1
Hermit Thrush  2
Gray Catbird  2
Cedar Waxwing  10
Orange-crowned Warbler  1     observed carefully at close range for 3-4
minutes as it foraged in understory shrubs with a Nashville Warbler
Nashville Warbler  2
Common Yellowthroat  4
Palm Warbler (Western)  4
Palm Warbler (Yellow)  5
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  12
Song Sparrow  22
Lincoln's Sparrow  3
Swamp Sparrow  9
White-throated Sparrow  36     likely undercounted; a large flock of >25
birds along Melisi Road
White-crowned Sparrow (Eastern)  1
Red-winged Blackbird  3
Purple Finch  11