From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Matucheski, Michele L.
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2014 1:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Research Help - Measuring Religious Sincerity

Hello Collective Brain,
I've been working on this question for the past few weeks, but I'm not quite
coming up with what the patron seeks ...
The questions is looking for a tool(s) that will objectively measure
religious sincerity or conviction.

The background :  With the flu shots now being required for ALL health care
workers, people can still decline for medical or religious reasons.  My
patron wants to find a tool that will help them ascertain if people really
are declining on sincere religious grounds or not ...  How can that be
measured? What tools are out there?

I've searched Medline and the usual health science databases, even Google
and Scholar.  I have come up with some legal cases where they also test the
for religious conviction (You know those cases where the parents refuse
medical help for their children on religious grounds.)

Here are a few things I did find :
Ethical Exemptions for Seasonal Flu Vaccines  This powerpoint seems to offer
the best guidance.  It goes through several religions and what specific /
official objections they may have to vaccines :
http://www.apicchicago.org/pdf/2012/presentations/Ethicall-Exemptions-for-Se
asonal-Flu-Vaccines.pdf   Though it doesn't mention religious sincerity ...
Some of this type of info seems to come for legal cases on vaccine refusal
on religious grounds.  Here's one case from New Yorkers for Vaccination
Information and Choice : http://nyvic.org/law/wexler/7sincere.htm  Most of
these cases concern school children and vacination requirements.  It does a
good job of laying out how a judge would ascertain sincerity.
Although I searched all the usual places, I didn't feel like I was coming up
with the specific answers she was looking for.  Can anyone out there help
add to this body of knowledge?  I'm stumped ...
Thanks!
Michele
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Michele Matucheski, MLS, AHIP
Librarian & Information Consultant - The Clark Family Health Science Library
Mercy Medical Center - Affinity / Ministry Health Care
500 S. Oakwood Rd.
Oshkosh WI  54904
Phone 920-223-0340     Fax 920-223-0343
Libraries are about service - not books. Information where & when you want
it with Librarians as professional guides. --Linda Matula Schwartz

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail communication and any attachments may
contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the
designated recipient(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in error
and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of
it or its contents is prohibited. If you have received this communication in
error, please notify the sender at the electronic mail address noted above
and destroy all copies of this communication and any attachments. Thank you
for your cooperation.