From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Vugrin, Margaret
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2014 3:04 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: CHAT: Food and drink policies

We are an academic health sciences center library. We have had an open food and drink policy since we opened the new building 18 years ago.
(closed drinks in the computer lab only) We ask our patrons to clean up after themselves and let us know if there are spills that get on the carpet and we call the cleaning people to take care of that if and when needed. The carpet, furnishings are no worse for wear due to the food and drink policy. We even allow them to order in pizza and other foods and no problems.

Its 20min to the cafeteria and 20 min back so a heavy time issue if you canšt have food in the library. Oh by the way we also have a microwave for free use too.

Margaret Vugrin, MSLS, AHIP
Reference Librarian
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Library
3601 4th, MS7781
Lubbock, TX 79430

 <mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
P 806-743-2241
F 806-743-2218

If you need reference assistance please send an email to [log in to unmask] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Privacy/Confidentiality Notice: This message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message."

On 10/3/2014, 1:42 PM, "Kash-Holley, Melissa"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Dear Karen,
>
>In my opinion, you should let them bring food and drink.  Make your
>space as inviting as possible, which means don't make a lot of rigid
>rules and don't have a lot of signs.  Unless, of course,  you have a
>special collection of fragile, archival materials or something of that nature.
>
>Thank you,
>Melissa
>
>Melissa Kash-Holley, MLIS, AHIP
>Librarian for Reference, Instruction and Access Services Medical
>Library Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences
>1111 West 17th Street
>Tulsa, Oklahoma  74107-1898
>Phone  918-561-8457
>Fax  918-561-8412

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email communication may contain private, confidential, or legally privileged information intended for the sole use of the designated and/or duly authorized recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient or have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by email and permanently delete all copies of this email including all attachments without reading them. If you are the intended recipient, secure the contents in a manner that conforms to all applicable state and/or federal requirements related to privacy and confidentiality of such information.