Re: consumers / patients in libraries and food.  Sometimes patients come in to the library and they feel crummy, maybe due to being on chemo.  Certain food smells are really problematic for them.  If your patient/consumer population includes these folks you might want to think about limiting food.  Some people don't realize what they consider the "scent" of good food to some is the "stink" of offensive odors to others.

Also, sometimes consumers/patients/families consider the patient/consumer health library with its computers and comfy chairs to be a great all-day hangout.  It's really welcoming if the kids can run around, make noise, and you can feed them there too.  I've had dirty diapers, food detritus, and candy wrappers left in computer carrels. Not everyone has the same sensibilities and understanding of appropriate behavior.  It is a good idea to have administration-approved policies in place for the few who treat the library like it's for every activity except learning about how to better take care of themselves.

Susan Shelly

-----Original Message-----
From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Estabrook, Alexia
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2014 6:59 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: CHAT: Food and drink policies

Currently we officially have a no food and drink policy in the library but it has largely been unenforced.  I do enforce the no food in the computer lab, and request that drinks have lids.  We don't often have food in the library though.

At some point in the future we will be opening a new library, on that will have a consumer health component open to the public and will be aggressively marketed.  I plan to allow drinks with lids but am conflicted about food.  I'm not sure what image it will give patients, family and visitors to see hospital employees eating in the library.  Thankfully I have a while before I have to decide.

Alexia D. Estabrook-Isely, MSLS
Consultant, Medical Library

Providence Hospital | Helen L. DeRoy Medical Library Main Phone: 248-849-3294 | Fax: 248-849-3201 | Email: [log in to unmask] Library Home Page: http://www.intra.providence-hospital.org/MedicalLibrary/

Whatever knowledge we find for you leaves you more time for your patients.  Thank you for allowing us to assist you.

Looking for Answers? @sk Your Medical Librarian: Your Key to Quality Information