As a former math and computer science teacher, I love the fact that STEM is
once, again, a focus. Yes, I've been around long enough to see that
pendulum swing back and forth a few times. However, I hope that the arts
will not be left out. It has been proven that early music instruction
improves math scores. There are so many ways math skills, especially
fractions, can be taught with music connections. Geometry? The connections
with nature and art are simply amazing. When I taught computer programming
many of my students got more interested and excited when they could choose
a programming project that could include an artistic outcome. Websites or
tools created by people without artistic skills? Boring! Companies are
looking for well-rounded individuals to fill their engineering positions,
not just math/science skills. Please, let's focus on STEAM in Vermont, not
just STEM.

Off my soapbox!

Joanne