Joanne,
I'm totally there with you!!

Shirley

Believe in what we are able to do together.

Shirley Ferguson, PhD
Director of Curriculum, Instruction, Assessment, and Technology Integration
Orange Windsor Supervisory Union
3590 VT Route 14
South Royalton, VT 05068
802-763-8840 ext.114
802-763-3235 fax

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 11:54 AM, Joanne Finnegan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
As a former math and computer science teacher, I love the fact that STEM is once, again, a focus. Yes, I've been around long enough to see that pendulum swing back and forth a few times. However, I hope that the arts will not be left out. It has been proven that early music instruction improves math scores. There are so many ways math skills, especially fractions, can be taught with music connections. Geometry? The connections with nature and art are simply amazing. When I taught computer programming many of my students got more interested and excited when they could choose a programming project that could include an artistic outcome. Websites or tools created by people without artistic skills? Boring! Companies are looking for well-rounded individuals to fill their engineering positions, not just math/science skills. Please, let's focus on STEAM in Vermont, not just STEM.

Off my soapbox!

Joanne