Aerohive gives some nice reports that can help identify the heavy users.  The application reporting is the one I pay attention to the most.

Bjorn Behrendt
http://www.EdListen.com/
http://www.AskBj.net/
http://www.VTed.org/

On Nov 21, 2014 2:17 PM, "Jeff Weiner" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi all

Starting this school year, we launched a full BYOD program at our High School.  Currently we're using Aerohive wireless with 2 SSIDs...one for staff and one for students and public.  There are days when network traffic flows fairly consistently and other days where it slows to a crawl.  Many times when it starts crawling, I've done a Wireshark capture and found a device excessively broadcasting and have identified this as part of the problem.  How are other schools identifying who the users are of problem devices and removing them from the network until the problems can be solved on their device?  Currently, I'm using the MAC Address against the DHCP lease table to try and identify the owner, but many times with student devices, it's just "Dan's PC" or something else non-descriptive.  Suggestions welcome.  Thank you!

Jeff

Jeff Weiner
Technology Director
Wakefield Public Schools