It is more than that - once the school is verified, the Office 365 E1 version is free to the domain.  Office E1 includes Office Online, but not any installed apps locally.

Office 365 E1 plan - is free to education.   This includes the online versions of Word, Excel, Powerpoint and more.  I am working on setting this up for the domain.  This knowledge may affect your decisions around Office licensing...  MS Access is not included.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office-365-plan-options.aspx

and

Office Online apps:
https://office.com/start/default.aspx

I contacted the sales folks at Microsoft and they will provide instructions on registering and admin account for your domain. (Google Apps Domain OK as far as I understand).

Craig

Craig Donnan, MA
Systems Administrator
Washington West Supervisory Union