Bob - they can have the online versions for free - 5 Pro installed versions per domain only.

You are correct - if the online Office is adequate - you won't need the installed versions.  Otherwise you get 5 installed versions free.  I believe the 365 Pro/Business installed does include Access.

Process is:
Go here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office-365-plan-options.aspx

Get the trial account.
Register your google domain in the process (don't change your MX records - only set up a txt file for registration/verification)
Then administer the users.  I'm not through this process yet...

Craig

Craig Donnan, MA
Systems Administrator
Washington West Supervisory Union