At Monty Bay the closest birds were probably only 100 ft away.  Close
enough that a single bird would fill up the scope when zoomed in.  They
became quite accustomed to our presence and didn't scatter.  At Point Au
Roche they were right up to the beach, but I'm sure they would have
scattered if we would have walked toward them, so we kept a respectful
distance away, probably 100 yards or more.  We had already seen them close
up, so we didn't push it, and we didn't try to look for Ross's here. We
were content to be amazed at the sheer numbers.

--Ken