Yesterday morning a small group of birders from the Hampshire Bird Club
of Amherst, MA stopped by Gage Road and the Goose Viewing area at Dead
Creek WMA and made a count-based estimate of 4500 Snow Geese.  Thanks to
Mike Locher for submitting the numbers to eBird. (Delightfully, I
happened to meet up with the group at Tri-town later in the day.)

Then, late afternoon yesterday I happened by the Goose Viewing area
while a very large flock settled over the course of several minutes;
there were two other flocks already on the ground.  By counts of 50s
converted to 100s, then converted to 400s and then to 1000s I came up
with 4000 birds visible to me.  When I first saw them, my initial
estimate bracket was at least 3500 and not over 5000 Snow Geese
visible.  None of the birds were right by the road, but they were in
several, easy-to-view groups at various distances.

Ian