 From the description, Great Horned Owl sounds more than possible.
(GHOs aren't gray and don't have white spots, per se, but it certainly
could have looked like that in a somewhat frenzied moment to someone who
isn't a birder.)  GHOs are largely crepuscular hunters (ie, the hours
around dawn and dusk) and can easily take a chicken.

They're also slightly crazy in their intense lust to take prey, which
could explain the peculiar behavior refusing to be chased off.  Most
raptors only expend the energy to go after prey when they need a meal,
but GHOs can't seem to resist doing it when they see an opportunity even
if they're stuffed to the gills with a recent kill and their crops are
bulging.  If they're too full to eat it, they'll sometimes just rip the
head off the prey and fling it somewhere, then leave the corpse.

Yes, if it's a local bird and not one just passing through for some
reason, it could well come back after the chickens.  Can't do much to
prevent that, but she might want to not have her chickens out
unsupervised too much, especially as dusk approaches.

Jane
(Shoreham)