I would definitely recommend MIT Apps Inventor 2! The ability to create on any device via web browser, combined with the ability to view the app on any new(ish) Android tablet in almost real time is pretty awesome. Plus, there are a number of great tutorials that make it easy and fun.

Website: ai2.appinventor.mit.edu/
Tutorials: http://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/ai2/tutorials.html

(The companion app can be found in the Play Store. Just remember that it's for App Inventor 2.)

Sent from my Moto X