Hardware durability is crucial. So is usability.

Personally, I much prefer a fully functional laptop for kids within and
outside school... that is functional creatively. Schools that encourage
that creative use outside school walls go much further. I've seen and
visited schools who so severely 'institutionalize' a powerful laptop that
it is basically unintuitive, and only functional as a basic app and web
research tool. The school philosophy around the usage of the device is
paramount.