Agreed. I said "personally." Ask kids... they'll prefer a more functional, capable device ; )

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 11:51 AM, Raymond Ballou <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
has anyone else actually asked their learners?

we don't include them on every decision of course, but they were involved in our july1 purchase process.

We surveyed our class of 2018 (3rd year in 1-1) and when given the choice between suggesting a windows laptop or a CB for the class of 2021, the results were split 50/50.

Kid you not, almost to the individual it was split along gender lines.

We had a discussion about personalizing the choice (didn't do it) and also briefly about giving the learner the OPPOSITE of what they picked (didn't do that either).

Today and now at SoRo, in MS you get a CB and in HS you get a windows laptop.

What drove that arrangement, was expectations, feedback and budget.

Personally, I much prefer a fully functional laptop for kids within and outside school...

Adam A. Provost, MAT
Technology Integration - Partnership for Change Initiative
Burlington High School, Vermont

Personal Blog: creativeStir.blogspot.com