A Prairie Falcon was seen yesterday midday (12:30 - 1 pm), Dec 9, in
Addison County by Rodney Olsen (thanks!).
I am reporting this third hand, and have been out trying to find it yet,
and so don't have further information beyond the following:
It was seen near Otter Creek Rd, about 1.7 miles north of its
intersection with Route 17, a bit farther north of its intersection with
Farr Cross Rd.
That would seem to put it in the town of Addison, looking at a map.
It was first seen in a tree, near to a small barn which is east of the
road in a field; and then seen in flight to the barn.
It eventually left the area flying to the west.
It was thought to be an adult.
As you may recall, the first state record Prairie Falcon was seen in the
same town on Jan 1 this year (but not by me) and was an immature (I think).
So speculatively this could be the same bird returned for its second
winter.
Warnings: that bird was seen only one day (I think), and we are in the
midst of bad weather right now in this, and other parts, of VT; so be
sure you know the local conditions before making your plans to try
seeing it.
This is yet another great bird report for this year in VT!
Hope that the weather clears and that it has not cleared out yet.
Have a great holiday season, and hope some good birding is part of that,
Larry Haugh
Shelburne, VT

For a complete list of the reports that the VT Bird Records Committee)
addressed in 2013-14, see:
http://vtecostudies.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/vce-vbrc-committee-report-2014.pdf