This morning at 11:30, I saw a good-sized falcon fly into a tree off Nortontown Road (not far from the intersection with Jersey Street). The bird faced in my direction, showing pale underparts. I had just raised my binoculars when a Peregrine Falcon appeared, chased the first falcon off the tree, and perched there itself. The first bird was about the same size as the Peregrine and generally lighter in color. It had a “mustache” but this was thinner than on the Peregrine. I think there was some dark on the undersides of the wings when it flew, but I got a very fleeting glance. (Falcons are fast!)

So - Which is more likely? That two peregrines would hang out together during the winter, or that two different falcons would choose the same perch?

Maeve Kim
Jericho Center