From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kash-Holley, Melissa
Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2014 9:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: SUMMARY: How do you keep electronic records in SERHOLD updated?

Hello All,

I was able to talk with one hospital librarian and one academic librarian who gave me the scoop on how they manage SERHOLD ejournal holdings.  I'll share with you their advice below.

--Add electronic journal packages as you subscribe

--No SERHOLD update/inventory is done unless it becomes necessary.  I was thinking that a yearly SERHOLD inventory is necessary and wondered how would we ever keep thousands of ejournal holdings updated.  Turns out that the two librarians I talked to say they don't do inventories and that mistakes in their SERHOLD holdings are only corrected if an erroneous DOCLINE request is received.  Fill rates have not suffered much.

Bottom Line: Accept that fill rate will not be perfect, don't worry about checking holdings every year, it's more important to spend the time you have to get the ejournal holdings inputted into SERHOLD.

So, this is what we are going to do.

I would love to hear if anyone else has anything to say:)

Thanks,
Melissa