Hi Everyone,

I put the request for info on Muninet too. Here is the response I received from the VSARA. Thanks for your help.

Dear Dawn, and the list,

First, to answer your question, Vermont Law Books are covered by Disposition Order 9773.01, which states the disposition as “After one year offer to local schools, libraries, and local historical society before destruction by recycling” (https://www.sec.state.vt.us/media/458875/DO_MunicipalClerks.pdf, 3rd page).  So if none of those organizations are interested in taking the materials, you are welcome to destroy old state law books that have met that retention period.

I’m not familiar with what exactly an Agricultural Yearbook is, but if it is a publication of the state than it is not considered a municipal record.  The Vermont Department of Libraries generally maintains state publications, so copies of those publications provided to municipalities would be purely for the convenience of the city or town.

Second, I should introduce myself to the listserv, as I am a new employee here at VSARA.  My name is Steven Dibelius, and I am the new Chief Records Officer at the Vermont State Archives and Records Administration.  I will be working on policy and schedule development at VSARA, as well as supporting state agencies and municipalities in the implementation of records management programs.  I am available to any of you with questions you might have regarding public records.

Also new at VSARA, Nicholas Connizzo ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) recently joined as our Digital Records Archivist.  Nick will be working on the implementation of an electronic record archive, as well as policies focused on electronic records.

If you need to contact anyone at VSARA for guidance regarding public records, we encourage you to e-mail[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, as that mailbox is monitored by multiple people (in case an individual is out-of-the-office).  And further information on records management can be found on our website (https://www.sec.state.vt.us/archives-records/records-management.aspx).  Thanks, and have a great 2015!


Steven Dibelius, CRM CIP
Chief Records Officer
Vermont State Archives & Records Administration
1078 U.S. Route 2, Middlesex
Montpelier, VT 05633-7701
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Dawn Custer
Hubbardton Town Clerk/Treasurer

Hubbardton Town Office
1831 Monument Hill Rd.
Castleton, VT  05735

Phone: 802/273-2951
Fax: 802/273-3729

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 8:56 AM, Dawn Custer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

We are getting ready to renovate our town hall which means cleaning out the closets. I have a large collection of Vermont Senate Journals, House Journals, and Agricutural Yearbooks from the 1910's through the 1930s or 40s. Some start in the latter part of the 1890s. I also have Vermont law books from the 1970s and Vermont Statutes from part of the 1860s. Plus numerous other random volumes. 

They are interesting and not something I really want to throw out but I could really use the extra space. The previous town clerk believes at some point someone said we have to keep them but she isn't sure if that is really the case. Does anyone know for certain?

Thanks for your help,

Dawn Custer
Hubbardton Town Clerk/Treasurer

Hubbardton Town Office
1831 Monument Hill Rd.
Castleton, VT  05735