The tabulartor won't tell you if the ovals weren't filled in - you still have to look at each ballot.

In a hand count town we separate the ballots with write-ins. Then if we have, say, 10 ballots with write-ins, we just look to be sure that each candidate on the ballot received at least 11 votes. It saves hours.

Bobbi

At 11:45 AM 1/13/2015, you wrote:
I agree, this is how I see it too.  The tabulator would tell us if there were enough write-ins in a race to overcome the nominated candidate and if at all close, then tally that race.  Our review at the end of the night for voter intent would be streamlined with write-ins for declared slates out of the way.  I usually defer to Will but I’m not so sure about his response, I think in a hand count town you don’t know what your write in totals are until you count every single ballot, a tabulator town has a good estimate on the tape write away.

But all this makes for good discussion if it helps us with the end of the night.

Barbara A. Courchesne
Town Clerk/Town Treasurer
Delinquent Tax Collector

Town of Springfield
96 Main Street
Springfield, VT 05156
802-885-2104 phone
802-885-1617 fax

Disclosure:  Written communication to and from Town officials regarding Town business are considered public records and will be available to the public for review.

From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [ mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of donna
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2015 10:43 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Declaring Slate when there are no contested races

Will, in a tabulator town I believe that this would still save time.  We would still look for voter intent and put aside any ballot that has a write in name (whether oval filled in or not) but we would not have to write each person’s name on the tally sheets IF the total number of write ins found by looking for voter intent was less than the largest number of votes cast for a candidate whose name appeared on the ballot.  We can just record the total number of write-ins found.   You would be surprised how many people write all of their family members in different spots on the ballot.

Donna

Donna Kinville
South Burlington City Clerk, CMC & CVC
802-846-4119

Notice - Under Vermont’s Public Records Act, all e-mail, e-mail attachments as well as paper copies of documents received or prepared for use in matters concerning City business, concerning a City official or staff, or containing information relating to City business are likely to be regarded as public records which may be inspected by any person upon request, unless otherwise made confidential by law. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by return email. Thank you for your cooperation.