Some of the cheapest beef in the commodity market is actually from New
Zealand...much cheaper than North American grain fed beef, and WAAAY
less than locally grass fed beef.  They can simply produce and ship it
cheaper than we can...regardless of the distance.  Law of supply and
demand allows this expansion from outside the US.  There's a strong
demand now and not enough cattle in the US to fill the demand - no
matter how they are fed.

Chip Morgan
//

//