Some of the cheapest beef in the commodity market is actually from New Zealand...much cheaper than North American grain fed beef, and WAAAY less than locally grass fed beef.  They can simply produce and ship it cheaper than we can...regardless of the distance.  Law of supply and demand allows this expansion from outside the US.  There's a strong demand now and not enough cattle in the US to fill the demand - no matter how they are fed.

Chip Morgan