You'll be surprised, Skip, to hear that I disagree with you, if they were
not made aware of the risk of skiing off-piste in Europe. I think either
their coaches and/or the senior USST staff failed them.

Yes, exactly, the Euros know about the off-piste risks, but kids who've
grown up skiing--much of the time training/racing--I'd be pretty surprised
if they did. And especially because they can/could ski just about anything
phenomenally well, are teenagers (or a year past), and are in a foreign
environment for perhaps the first time, they are especially susceptible to
the risks.

And yes, I think it's the responsibility of the U.S. Ski Team, who would be
their employer, but at this level, they're paying $10ks to be on the Team,
to make sure they understand that risk.

Finally, it's not a damned shame about these kids, it's a heartbreaking
tragedy. I cannot fathom the loss that the families of Ronnie Berlack &
Bryce Astle are suffering.

--Matt K.