The Euros know about the off-piste risks, and accept them. You die
off-piste in France, for example, and the collective response is "/tant
pis/."

One might ask what it is about the American psyche that 1) demands that
others explain to us why what we're thinking about doing isn't a good
idea  before we even do it, and 2) gives us license to blame others if
our own actions produce a bad result.

Damned shame about these kids. But one ventures into avalanche terrain
at one's own risk. And if you're an elite-level skier who doesn't
recognize possible avalanche terrain when you see it, it ain't because
your coaches failed you.