The Euros know about the off-piste risks, and accept them. You die off-piste in France, for example, and the collective response is "tant pis."

One might ask what it is about the American psyche that 1) demands that others explain to us why what we're thinking about doing isn't a good idea  before we even do it, and 2) gives us license to blame others if our own actions produce a bad result.

Damned shame about these kids. But one ventures into avalanche terrain at one's own risk. And if you're an elite-level skier who doesn't recognize possible avalanche terrain when you see it, it ain't because your coaches failed you.