Interesting little debate here between Skip and Matt.  On the one hand, I agree 100% with Skip.  However, as someone who has sent their kid off to strange lands to ski race train, I've trusted that the coaches and handlers are advising them of many things, including dangers.  And if the coaches and handlers aren't providing appropriate regional advice, then I agree with Matt.

But I am sure this is not their first trip to Europe, nor their first off piste skiing in Europe.  At their level, I am certain they've spent a lot of time in Europe and I would find it hard to believe skiing off piste and its dangers would be new to them.  Hopefully Nate Vinton wasn't implying they got *wrong* advice.

I also agree it's a heartbreaking tragedy.  I've been at a few USCSA races since this happened.   Lots of kids with the "RIP RB and BA" and similar notes on their helmets (including my daughter's).  Every time I'd see one, I'd get choked up knowing that many of those USCSA kids had raced with and against Ronnie and Bryce in their USSA/FIS days - but those two had made it to that next level (where many of them wanted to get to) and now they are gone in an instant.  I can't imagine the anguish and pain the families are experiencing.

Brad