On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 00:25:23 -0500, Bruno <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Conditions were great Monday on the Big Hill, and we enjoyed a fun day.
>
>Not to be a downer but there were some disappointments at Stowe .
>

>The hill is 100% open. Any trail, any woods run was available, except for
>one certain woods run off the Sensation Quad that had patroller Sebastian
>(sp?) in the trees lecturing people for ducking a rope on a closed trail
>above that connected to Main Street, or used to until now, now that the
>trail is never open even on days like Monday when racing is not taking
>place on Main Street. Heck, there were moguls in the woods but not being an
>area that ski patrol actually sweeps we were clearly in the wrong. Sebby
>(Sevvy?) had just spoken to a group of 3 or 4, released them, spotted us
>Nutmeggers uphill, gave us the speech, then Sebby had to deal with an adult
>from Mount Mansfield Ski Club and his 5 young charges with official club
>jackets and patches. The adults were on a first name basis... so doubtful
>they received the tongue lashing we received, pretty funny, actually. I
>mean, I understand the difficulty in keeping safe an entire mountain but a
>well tracked glade just off a major run that MMSC kids seem to know like
>their living rooms? Heck, if the MMSC club kids and parents cannot get it
>right, what hope is there for the part time visitors who shell out $80+ for
>a day ticket?

The Stowe Patrol is trying to be "proactive" this year.  They now have manned slow
areas at the intersections of:
-  Lord and Sunrise
-  Perry Merril and Switchback

Patrollers are sometimes stationed at the bottom of the Meadows Quad.  I know several
locals that have complained about the patrollers yelling at them.   The locals were miffed
because they are on first name basis with the patrollers.  The locals complained, the patrollers
say "we are just trying to be proactive".

>We shared an egg sandwich at the posh Spruce Camp which was quite a
>disappointment compared to the egg sandwiches that Tired Old Skier touts -
>the ones served at elevation in the Octagon. Spruce's are too bready on
>some sort of doughy panini roll, not on an english muffin like at the
>Octagon.

Agree 100%.   The Octagon's is much better.
Spruce is pricey, but their chili is amazing.

>And then, when we left Spruce for the Mansfield side the Over Easy funny
>sideways lift was closed for mechanical troubles. That is weird when the
>lift does not even travel folks uphill and it breaks down. A short wait for
>a shuttle bus was all it took to get back onto the dirtbag Mansfield side
>of the Big Hill. The sideways lift was apparently also down Tuesday due to
>high winds. Good luck parking everyone on Mansfield when the sideways lift
>can't even operate.

 Last Tues it was still shutdown and there were locals complaining about the
shuttle...  It was running today.

So there, you got the treated like a local and not a flat lander.