I would say - pedagogy should drive the hardware and software used in teaching.

However the technology used to provide the network, and the phone, and the filtering, and the authentication, and the antivirus, and all of that background technology - that is a different animal, and there is indeed some independence there from pedagogy.  It should not be in the way of teaching, but other factors drive those investment decisions and drive the upkeep and implementation in those services -  such as cost, security, stability, capacity, consistency, etc.

Don't get me wrong - the mission of learning drives the organization - but there are discrete strategic goals beneath the over-all teaching mission, which don't have anything to do with the actual act or process of learning, but instead are fundamental supports and to a degree independent.

Whether you have a Cisco router or a HP router - does integration care - not really.  Does the network person care? Yes - very much.

Craig

Craig Donnan, MA
Systems Administrator
Washington West Supervisory Union